If you are looking for a high-quality, affordable fish finder that is easy to install and works great on your boat?
The Garmin Striker Vivid 5cv is a 5-inch fish finder with a vivid color palette and scanning sonar, allowing for high-definition imagery. It uses Garmin CHIRP traditional sonar and CHIRP ClearVü scanning sonar, requiring a compatible transducer.
The device also has high-sensitivity GPS for accurate waypoint marking, route planning, and speed tracking. It also includes Quickdraw Contours mapping for creating customized fishing maps.
The garmin fish finder striker plus 5cv weighs 3.8 pounds and measures 11.4 x 8.2 x 6.6 inches, making it a practical addition to any fishing expedition.
Let review the Garmin Striker 5cv fishfinder and see if it is an excellent choice for the serious fisherman whether on boat, canoe, or kayak.
Garmin STRIKER™ Vivid 5cv Specifications
Specifications Garmin Striker Vivid 5CV
Dimension 7.4’’ x 4.5’’ x 2.1’’ (18.8 x 11.6 x 5.4 cm)
Weight 1.0 lb (450 g)
Typical Current Draw 0.40 A
Traditional Sonar (Dual Frequency/Beam) Built-in
Track Points 50,000
Supports WAAS Yes
Power Input 12 to 20 Vdc
Power Consumption 4.8
Navigation Routes 100
Mounting Options flush, tilt/swivel
Max Current Draw 1.5 A
Has Built-In Receiver Yes
Garmin Quickdraw Contours Yes
Frequency Traditional: 50/77/200 kHz CHIRP (mid and high) ClearVü 260/455/800 kHz
Displays Sonar Yes
Display Type WVGA color
Display Size 2.6″ x 4.3″ (6.5 x 10.8 cm); 5.0″ diag (12.8 cm)
Display Resolution 800 x 480 pixels
Transmit Power 500 W (RMS)
Bottom Lock (Shows Return From The Bottom Up) Yes
Water Temperature Log Yes
4-Pin Transducer Ports 1
Split-Screen Zoom Yes
Fish Symbol Id (Helps Identify Fish Targets) Yes
Autogain Technology (Minimizes Clutter; Maximizes Targets) Yes
Adjustable Depth Line (Measures Depth Of Underwater Objects) Yes
A-Scope (Real Time Display Of Fish Passing Through Transducer Beam) Yes
Water Temperature Sensor Included Yes
Depth Range Shading Yes
Technical Features for Garmin STRIKER Vivid 5cv
Dimensions & Weight
The Garmin Striker Vivid 5cv is designed with practicality in mind, boasting compact dimensions of 7.4’’ x 4.5’’ x 2.1’’ and a lightweight profile at just 1.0 lb. This makes the unit an excellent fit for any fishing vessel without adding bulk.
Waypoints and Navigation
With the capacity to store up to 5000 waypoints and manage 100 navigation routes, the Striker Vivid 5CV is a navigator’s delight. Its track log can hold up to 50,000 points and 50 saved tracks, ensuring detailed mapping of your favorite fishing spots.
Build and Power
The fish finder is IPX7 waterproof, meaning it can withstand incidental water exposure. The typical current draw stands at 0.40 A, with a maximum of 1.5 A, showing efficient power consumption for its 12 to 20 Vdc power input.
Sonar and Frequencies
The Striker Vivid 5CV includes built-in traditional sonar with dual frequency and beam capabilities. It operates on frequencies for traditional sonar and ClearVü scanning sonar, providing crisp, clear underwater imagery.
The 5-inch display sports an 800 x 480 pixel WVGA resolution that renders sonar readings in vivid colors. The keyed input design is intuitive, allowing for seamless operation.
GPS and Mapping
It has a built-in GPS and supports WAAS for enhanced location accuracy. The Garmin Quickdraw Contours feature is a significant add-on, allowing anglers to create and store maps with 1-foot contours of nearly any body of water.
A variety of sonar features enhance the fish-finding experience, such as the AutoGain technology for clutter minimization and Fish Symbol ID for easy identification of targets. The Adjustable Depth Line and A-Scope provide real-time data and help in assessing fish depth.
Temperature and Transducer
The package includes a water temperature sensor, and the unit itself supports a 4-pin transducer. With a 500 W (RMS) transmit power, the device offers reliable sonar capabilities in various conditions.
Practical Tools for Anglers
Tools like Split-Screen Zoom, Bottom Lock, and Depth Range Shading enhance the user experience. These features allow anglers to focus on specific areas, understand bottom structures, and differentiate between fish types and sizes.
What's in the box?
- Compact design (7.4’’ x 4.5’’ x 2.1’’, 1.0 lb) for easy installation and portability.
- Clear, 5-inch high-resolution (800 x 480 pixels) WVGA color display.
- Advanced sonar with CHIRP and ClearVü scanning for detailed imagery.
- High-sensitivity GPS with support for WAAS.
- Extensive waypoint (5000) and track (50,000 points) capacity.
- IPX7 waterproof rating ensures durability in wet conditions.
- Built-in Quickdraw Contours for custom mapping.
- AutoGain technology to minimize clutter and maximize target visibility.
- Useful fishing tools like Fish Symbol ID and A-Scope for real-time data.
- ClearVü scanning requires an additional compatible transducer.
- Maximum current draw (1.5 A) may be high for some small battery systems.
- Some users may prefer a touch screen over keyed input.
- No networking capabilities for data sharing with other devices.
- Does not include maps and chartplotter functions found in more advanced models.
Garmin Striker Vivid 5CV Troubleshooting
- Initial Charge Check: Observe the charging indicators on the device; they should show charging when on and fully charged when off.
- Alternative Battery and Harness Test: Use a different battery and wiring harness to determine if the issue is with the original components.
- Overnight Charging Observation: Note the device’s response after charging all night—it should not merely beep but power on.
- Fuse and Wiring Inspection: Inspect the fuse and connections for any faults.
- Power Source Confirmation: Ensure the power source is functional by testing other devices with it.
- Fuse Continuity Test: Use a multimeter to test the fuse for continuity, indicating no break in the circuit.
- Voltage Check: Verify the device is receiving at least 12 Vdc.
- Battery Voltage Assessment: Test the battery voltage; a reading significantly lower than expected may suggest the need for replacement.
- Load and Amperage Testing: If available, use a load and amperage tester to evaluate the battery’s health.
- Battery Upgrade Consideration: If replacing, consider upgrading to a lithium battery for better performance.
- Frequent Charging: Charge often and at room temperature to maintain battery life.
- Battery Performance Testing: Test the battery’s longevity by using it on a 24- to 48-watt device to estimate its operational hours.
- Garmin Support Contact: If the device still fails to turn on with sufficient power, reach out to Garmin Support for further assistance.
FAQs on Garmin Fishfinder Striker Vivid 5CV
The Garmin Striker Vivid 5CV is a versatile and efficient fishfinder with a slim profile, high-resolution display, and sonar technology like CHIRP and ClearVü. Its navigation and mapping capabilities are enhanced by high-sensitivity GPS, Quickdraw Contours, and waypoint and track logging. With an IPX7 rating and sonar enhancements like AutoGain and Fish Symbol ID, it’s a reliable fishfinder for optimizing fishing experiences.